Monday, February 28, 2011

Alternative to Door Painting!

Chandler: They do me?
Phoebe: You know, like... uh, okay: "Could that report be any later?"
Chandler: I don't sound like that.
Ross: Oh, oh Chandler...
Joey: Yeah, you do.
Ross: "The hills were alive with the sound of music.
Joey: My scones!
Phoebe, Ross, & Joey: "My scones!"
Chandler: Okay, I don't sound like that. That is so not true. That is so not... That is so not... Oh, shut up!

Did you guys watch Friends? My mom and I used to watch it every week! I miss it! You are probably wonder what this has to do with an alternative to painting!

Well...

Remember the door that was in Monica & Rachel's apartment? You know the one that had the frame around the peep hole angled door viewer?


So, I got to thinking instead of painting the door...why not add a frame? So I set out to find one that I was fully intending on spray painting gold...I found this one at a thrift store for $.75


I made a quick stop at Walmart to get something, and I was walking past the fabric when I saw this fabric.


They have a whole section of 1/4 yard sections for $1.25, so the gold spray paint when out the window. It would obviously be much cooler to cover the frame with fabric, right?

Right!

So I just measured the fabric to fit the frame, and cut it down. I the cut a square out of the center and made a cut a 45 degree angle in all of the corners.

Does that make sense?


I then just used the hot glue gun to glue the fabric to the underside of the frame like this


I am sure that I could have made the back look better, but nobody will ever see it anyway. I then added ribbon to the top of the frame just by looping it around, and gluing it to the back of the frame.


But it still needed something else so I added a "bow". Which I made by gluing the ends of a short piece of ribbon together, and then wrapping another piece of ribbon around the center of it.


All done...time to hang it on the door


Except it wasn't what I was picturing once I got it on the door


So I just pulled out my Cricut...downloaded this bird silhouette off of google...and cut it out on vinyl


Here it is on the door...


New and improved door with frosted glass, a peep hole angled door viewer, and a picture frame



We just hung the frame on the door with 3M Command Strips, so it is all completely removable if we tire of it. The only problem is...I still kind of want to paint the door

Shhhhhh....don't tell Tyler

2 comments:

  1. These darling projects are making me want a vinyl cutter! This is a darling project! Um, please come visit us anytime! We would LOVE to have you guys, anytime!! Lets start cooking something up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! This has been on my "To Do" list! I LOVE Friends and have been keeping my eye out for the "perfect" frame to put on my door. I love what you did! The fabric and vinyl looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete